Learn woodworking techniques while making a wood picture frame. The class provides instruction and a broad selection of woods, covering wood choice, preparation, joinery and finishing (if desired). By the end each workshop, you’ll end up with a beautiful and lasting reclaimed object with a story attached.
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN
- Table saw -demonstration
- Miter saw – Instruction + practice
- Power planer – Instruction + practice
- Palm sander – Instruction + practice
- Reclaimed wood backstory
- Douglas fir from Worcestershire sauce tank
- Oak barnwood
- Maple barnwood
- Coney Island Boardwalk
- Longleaf pine
- Antique Eastern white pine
- Pickle tank redwood
- Elm barnwood
- Wormy chestnut (Don’t worry – the worms are long gone!)
MEET THE MAKER
- Luke Boyce is a fine woodworker and custom fabricator based in Red Hook, Brooklyn. A graduate of the Industrial Arts program at Pratt Institute, Luke has over ten years of experience using modern woodworking equipment and traditional hand tools for the construction of a broad range of projects for Uhuru Design and his own commissions.
- Alan Solomon is a partner at Sawkill Lumber and a co-author of Reclaimed Wood: A Field Guide. Sawkill Lumber was established in 2008 to recover lumber and history from deconstructed buildings in the NYC area.