Learn introductory woodworking, while making a beautiful reclaimed wood cutting and/or cheese board. Instruction includes wood choices, lumber preparation, joinery, glue-up, sanding and finishing techniques.
WHAT YOU’LL GET
By the end of the 3 hour workshop, you’ll end up with a lasting, locally sourced, reclaimed cutting board with a story attached because of the history of the lumber and because it was built by you. We’ll cover reclaimed wood selection, preparation and assembly. Participants choose from eight reclaimed wood options and can customize the size and woods. A certificate documents the backstory of the materials.
- Douglas fir from an 1930’s era commercial building in Rego Park, Queens
- Coney Island Boardwalk
- Antique barn oak
- Antique barn chestnut
- Antique pine from an 1890’s warehouse at 31 Leonard St.
- Antique white pine from an 1830’s Brooklyn residence
- Pickle tank redwood
- River recovered cypress
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN
- Table saw – demonstration
- Miter saw – Instruction + practice
- Power planer
- Palm sander – Instruction + practice
- Food safe wood finishes – Discussion + application
- Reclaimed wood backstory
MEET THE MAKER
- Peter is a woodworker and custom cabinet maker with over thirty years experience serving projects in the New York City area.
- Alan Solomon is a partner at Sawkill Lumber and a co-author of Reclaimed Wood: A Field Guide.